Technical hydro consultant service refers to the paid-for specialist services that would normally be bought from an experienced hydro consultant like Renewables First. Selling technical services is really how we try to assist community groups to help them set-up hydro projects in the hope that we will then secure the feasibility, planning and project delivery work. The services you will require fall into three broad areas as the project progresses, namely:
- Feasibility services
- Planning and Environmental Consenting services
- Project delivery (detailed design and installation phase) services
The feasibility stage is really checking that a site meets all of the basic requirements to justify the expense of preparing and submitting a planning application that has a reasonable chance of success and that the hydro system represents a viable project. More details can be found on our hydro feasibility study page.
All hydropower projects require environmental consenting to allow them to be built and to operate. Our considerable in house expertise enables us to navigate the regulatory regimes to successfully obtain the necessary environmental consents for your project. More information can be found on the Environmental Consenting page.
It is important to agree the scope of planning applications with all of the stakeholders in advance to save unnecessary delays later. The key work items are:
- Carry out detailed consultations with all stakeholders to agree the scope of the planning application
- Complete the agreed works and prepare the application
- Submit and manage the application through the process, answering consultation responses as they arise
- Negotiate the planning conditions to simplify the later discharge of these conditions
- (If necessary) submit the appeal documentation
See Hydropower Consenting for more details of our hydro planning and Environmental consenting services.
Once you have planning and environmental consents the practical work of construction begins. This is where choosing a hydro consultant with years of experience of delivering hydro (and windpower) projects really pays off. The key steps are:
- Finalise the site layout, access, crane pads, transformer and substation locations
- Geotechnical survey (this checks what the ground is made from so the foundations can be designed)
- Earthing survey and design (required for a turbine that connects at 11 kV voltage and above)
- Structural design of foundations and substation bases
- High-voltage and low-voltage electrical design and specification
- Obtain quotes for all installation works
- Turbine procurement
- Manage the civils and onsite electrical works
- Project manage the wind turbine installation and commissioning
See Hydro Installation for more details of our hydro turbine project delivery services.
Once commissioned Renewables First can manage your operating hydro turbine on your behalf to make sure it operates efficiently, is maintained correctly and the income from the electricity generated is received and distributed as quickly as possible.
You will see from the list above how important it is to choose an experienced hydro consultant that can support you from the very start of the process right the way through to an operating hydro turbine. Renewables First are almost unique in providing this ‘whole project’ scope and we strive to provide the very best quality technical hydro consultant services for a reasonable price.
Are you considering a hydropower project ?
The first step to develop any hydropower site is to conduct a full feasibility study.
Contact us about a feasibility study today!
Once complete, you will understand the site potential and be guided through the next steps to develop your project. You can read more about hydropower in our Hydro Learning Centre.
Minimise manual cleaning of your intake screen, maximise the financial return of you hydropower system and protect fish and eels, with GoFlo Travelling Screens. Find out more here.