Technical windpower consultancy services refers to the paid-for specialist services that would normally be bought from an experienced technical windpower consultancy like Renewables First. Selling technical services is really why we try to assist community groups to help them set-up wind projects in the hope that we will then secure the feasibility, planning and project delivery work. The services you will require fall into three broad areas as the project progresses, namely:
The feasibility stage is really checking that a site meets all of the basic requirements to justify the expense of preparing and submitting a planning application that has a reasonable chance of success. We use a modular feasibility system which aims to check the riskiest items first so if show-stoppers are identified the project can be stopped quickly at minimal cost. More details can be found on our modular wind feasibility study page.
It is important to agree the scope of planning applications with all of the stakeholders in advance to save unnecessary delays later. The key work items are:
- Carry out detailed consultations with all stakeholders to agree the scope of the planning application
- Complete the agreed works and prepare the application
- Submit and manage the application through the process, answering consultation responses as they arise
- Negotiate the planning conditions to simplify the later discharge of these conditions
- (If necessary) submit the appeal documentation
See this page for more details of our wind planning services.
Once you have planning consent the practical work of construction begins. This is where choosing a wind consultancy with years of experience of delivering wind (and hydropower) projects really pays off. The key steps are:
- Finalise the site layout, access tracks, crane pads, transformer and substation locations
- Geotechnical survey (this checks what the ground is made from so the foundations can be designed)
- Earthing survey and design (required for a turbine that connects at 11 kV voltage and above)
- Structural design of foundations and substation bases
- High-voltage and low-voltage electrical design and specification
- Obtain quotes for all installation works
- Turbine procurement
- Manage the civils and onsite electrical works
- Project manage the wind turbine installation and commissioning
See this webpage for more details of our wind turbine project delivery services.
Once commissioned Renewables First can manage your operating wind turbine on your behalf to make sure it operates efficiently, is maintained correctly and the income from the electricity generated is received and distributed as quickly as possible.
You will see from the list above how important it is to choose an experienced windpower consultancy that can support you from the very start of the process right the way through to an operating wind turbine. Renewables First are almost unique in providing this ‘whole project’ scope and we strive to provide the very best quality technical windpower consultancy services for a reasonable price.
Want to install a wind turbine?
If you are in the UK then take our Wind Site Self-Assessment - The first step to provide information we need to complete a Windpower Feasibility Study. It takes about 20 minutes to work through the basic checks, including:
- Estimating wind speed
- Checking proximity of nearby properties
- Checking site access and approach roads
- Investigating connection with the grid